How Lidocaine Improves the Comfort of Cosmetic Injections
If youâ€™ve hesitated to undergo injectable treatments because youâ€™re worried about needles and discomfort, youâ€™re not alone. Products like Juvederm, Prevelle, Hydrelle and Restylane can effectively restore facial volume, reshape lips and correct wrinkles.
But the looming question for many people is, are these treatments comfortable?
Fortunately the answer is yes, thanks to local anesthetics that numb one or more areas of the face beforehand. Lidocaine is the one most frequently used by plastic surgeons.
Lidocaine blocks pain signals, relieves swelling
Your dentist uses Lidocaine as as a quick and simple way to numb the mouth prior to potentially painful dental work. Likewise, plastic surgeons have found that itâ€™s an excellent local anesthetic for injections. Lidocaine blocks the pain signal sent by the nerve endings on the skin in response to injections of the dermal filler solution. Patients quickly feel the anesthetic taking effect, and numbness kicks in.
The Benefits of Lidocaine for facial cosmetic procedures
- reduces or eliminates pain when the doctor is injecting into sensitive facial tissue
- minimizes tissue swelling that occurs when solutions are injected subcutaneously (underneath the skin)
- reduced swelling allows the surgeon to resculpt the targeted areas of the face with more accuracy to get the most attractive, natural looking result
- allows you to relax during the procedure
- during longer procedures â€“ filling in the cheek area, for instance â€“ it eliminates the need for general anesthesia
Several of the new dermal fillers, including Radiesse, Prevelle Silk, and Hydrelle, even come pre-mixed with Lidocaine.
To learn more about Lidocaine